Desert Eagle Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NJGF Feed

Telling FedEx you're shipping a handgun...

As a non-licensee, I just shipped my first handgun using ShipMyGun.com (Bud's shipping service). They were great - fast and less than half of what I would have paid on my own.

So according to the ATF and the guidelines posted by both UPS and FedEx, handguns need to ship overnight and you have to declare when you drop them off that the package contains an unloaded handgun. So, as I read the statute (18 U.S.C. § 922 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 18. Crimes and Criminal Procedure § 922), it's pretty clear that's the law, like it or not. So my question is - how would I ever prove that I did that? If I could potentially be prosecuted for not declaring something to the common carrier, what could be my defense? There was nothing recorded on the receipt she gave me and when I told her, she basically shrugged and said "OK".

As silly as the law/rule seems to be, I wouldn't do what many I read do and ship the gun as "machine parts" 3-day. That's definitely a way to get jammed up if the gun breaks free of the box or is stolen since they'd never accept a declared handgun as a shipment other than priority overnight.

View the full article